Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a television series created by Max Landis for BBC America and Netflix, originally airing in 2016. It is based on the novel series of the same name written by Douglas Adams.
The series is a co-production between BBC America and Netflix. It was released on October 22, 2016 and Netflix streaming became available outside of the US on December 11, 2016.
The first season was filmed primarily in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Todd Brotzman discovers the body of millionaire Patrick Spring and finds himself working alongside Dirk Gently, a self proclaimed holistic detective. The story follows their attempt to solve Patrick's murder along with the disappearance of Patrick's daughter, Lydia Spring.
- Samuel Barnett as Dirk Gently
- Cameron Andres as Young Dirk
- Elijah Wood as Todd Brotzman
- Hannah Marks as Amanda Brotzman
- Jade Eshete as Farah Black
- Fiona Dourif as Bart Curlish
- Dustin Milligan as Hugo Friedkin
- Miguel Sandoval as Col. Scott Riggins
- Richard Schiff as Zimmerfield
- Michael Eklund as Martin
- Mpho Koaho as Ken
- Neil Brown, Jr. as Estevez
- Aaron Douglas as Gordon Rimmer
- Zak Santiago as Cross
- Alison Thornton as Lydia Spring
For more cast and characters, see the individual season articles.
"A Completely Lost Dog"
- Lost & Found
- Rogue Wall Enthusiasts
- Very Erectus
- Fix Everything
- Weaponized Soul
- Two Sane Guys Doing Normal Things
"The Middle of Everywhere"
Behind the scenesEdit
- For more links to behind the scenes material, press, and more, see Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (BBC America)/Links.
References to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Edit
There are many references to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the series.
- The number 42 appears on the wall of screens in the death maze.
- In the first episode, Dirk mentions “there was a bit about a sofa, a thing with Thor…” This is referring to ‘Life, the Universe and Everything’, where Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent end up on Lord's Cricket Ground via a Chesterfield Sofa. Later in the book, they attend a never-ending party and meet Thor.
- The henchmen coming out of mice is a reference to the Pan-dimensional beings behind the creation of Deep Thought (and the answer 42), who put themselves into the bodies of mice to keep an eye on the Earth.
- The projects have been loose for about 15 years, almost sixteen by the time the show begins; about the same amount of time Ford Prefect was stranded on Earth at the beginning of the first Hitchhiker's book.
- There are five members of the Rowdy Three gang (when counting the original four men and Amanda Brotzman), a reference to the five books in the Hitchhiker's Trilogy.
This media does not have any additional notes listed.
- For more links, see Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (BBC America)/Links.